As I continue to adjust to my constant riding commute to the office, I’ve been playing with mixing this in with my regular scheduled runs.
Generally, I run early in the morning and then shower at home and ride to the office; the ride is short and downhill going in so I’ll still be fresh at the office.
This has worked reasonably well but does require more clothes changes; let me explain:
- Wake up and dress for running. 10mins.
- Shower, shave and dress for cycling. 30mins.
- Cycle to work
- Get clothes from lockers, dress, style hair and get to my desk. 15mins.
Totalling 55 mins.
Now, my wife suggested that I should try riding to work and then running from there, then showering.
- Wake up and dress for cycle/run. 10mins.
- Cycle to work.
- Stash bag, helmet and gloves. Strap on phone. Get out there. 5 mins.
- Run trail by the river or through the woods.
- Shower, shave, dress and get to my desk. 25mins.
Totals 40 mins. 15 minutes time saving. Whoop!
Now the only downside to this is that I don’t get to see my kids for breakfast before heading out the door. So I’ll save this for one or two days per week maximum.
Today I rode 3.1 miles and ran 8.3 miles at a pace of 7:43. The weather was cold and a little damp but perfect for the run. It amuses me that I’m running down the trail in shorts and a long sleeve t-shirt past people in weather-proof and wind-proof jackets, hats and fleeces.
Tomorrow morning is Apple iWatch day so I’ll be online shortly after 3 AM EST to get in the virtual queue. Hurrah. I’m looking forward to this device.